University of Zululand Chemistry Department and Courses Offered
University of Zululand Chemistry Department – See Details Below:
- The department of chemistry since its inception, the department has been engaged in imparting the highest level and quality of academic education. This department constitutes a 6-member faculty expertise in frontier level of research, the main areas of research being nanotechnology, homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis, organometallics, polymer chemistry, analytical chemistry and environmental chemistry.
- One of our key missions is to generate a human resources of unmatchable quality. We provide undergraduate and post-graduate programs with the aim of producing chemists with high professional competence, in carrying out research of both basic and applied nature. Currently, there are 8 M.Sc and 4 Ph.D. students.
- The department is equipped with the latest instrumental facilities that are required to carry out modern-day research, such as AFM, UV-Vis spectrophotometers, photoluminescence spectrophotometer, FT-IR, XRD, DSC, TGA, CHNS analyzer, GC-MS. The undergrad and postgrad students are provided with a broad practical exposure to the various instrumental techniques required for their research.
- The academic atmosphere at the department of chemistry is a rare blend of modern-day technical skills and the traditional emphasis on imparting knowledge. The students who have qualified from the department has outstanding achievements and leadership qualities. The department has a wide variety of research interests and has collaborated with many institutions both locally and internationally.
University of Zululand Chemistry Department Courses
University of Zululand Chemistry Department Courses – See Details Below:
- BSc Chemistry with Computer Science,
- BSc Chemistry with Mathematics,
- BSc Chemistry with Zoology,
- BSc Chemistry with Physics,
- BSc Computer Science with Chemistry
- BSc Chemistry with Hydrology
Mainstream (Chemistry as a major)
(i) A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with passes allowing entry to degree studies is
required. (NSC-Deg) or its approved foreign (equivalent).
(ii) A minimum of 30 NSC points.
(iii) A pass of at least 60% (level 5) in Mathematics.
(iv) A pass of at least 50% (level 4) in English.
(v) A pass of at least 50% (level 4) in Physical Sciences